Re: How insecure are cable connections, versus dialup?

Jamin W. Collins <jcollins@asgardsrealm.net> [2002-12-08 12:28:49 -0600]:
> On Sat, Dec 07, 2002 at 08:55:52PM -0800, Paul Johnson wrote:
> > Do not buy a cable modem off Ebay under any circumstances.  These
> > things are brutally easy to fry with line surge off the cable line,
> > especially if you're in a lightning prone area.
> (snip)
> > you're better off leasing a modem from them.
>
> Agreed, I went through 3 cable-modems during the two years I had service
> recently.

Now that is the best reason given so far for a separate component!
The modem is really a fuse to protect the system behind it.  When the
fuse blows you replace the fuse.  :-)

Bob