How insecure are cable connections, versus dialup?

I'm thinking of getting a Cox cable connection/modem, and was wondering
how hard it is to make the static IP address secure.  I don't have a lot
of knowledge in this area.  What is needed?  A cable modem that I could
lease or buy on Ebay, and a network interface card, and turn off all
unneeded services - how easy would it be for someone to hack me, and what
all could they generally accomplish?  Is getting a cable connection a
no-no for someone of my limited knowledge level?

Thank,

Chip