Re: gtk2 very slow and memory hungry?

On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 02:06:38AM -0500, Chun Kit Edwin Lau wrote:
> I am not sure what problem is it?  But since I upgrade to gnome2, things
> are just very slow.  Startup time for gnome-terminal (gtk2), gvim (gtk1)
> and galeon (gtk1) are much longer then it used to be.

I use the Gnome that's available on Sid; I think it is much more lighter.
Nautilus is pretty good. Galeon-snapshot is faster; crashed once, though.
Mozilla-snapshot too, is faster.

Problems on multi-gnome-terminal; the screen refresh is not quite good.
There were times when the subject lines on mutt didn't get refreshed. It
overrides the terminal size too; when the gnome-session sets the size to
what it was left, soon the terminal resizes back to the standard (80x24,
I think). But this is about this multi-terminals I believe, not
particularly Gnome2.

> gnome-terminal
>in gtk1 use to take 1s, but now the machine freezes up for like 3s on my
> pentium III 500MHz.  Same thing happen for the other gtk app.  Any idea?

Mine is P233/64MB; Gnome2 is lighter, I believe. Because I can use
Nautilus now. (Cool... and where is that galeon-snapshot-nautilus?)

> Something wrong with the mixing of library?

Check the networking; do you have lo up?
AFAIK, Gnome is always using the network.

Oki