xntp v's ntp

Hi all,
	No doubt someone in this forum will be able to enlighten me as to what are
the differenced between xntp and ntp. Are they simply different
implementations of the ntp protocol?

I have RTFM and STFW and haven't found a succinct list of the differenced
(yet).

What are the benefits/drawbacks of each implementation given that they are
not 100% compatable (from experience).

We run a shop of linux (debian/SuSE) and Solaris. Both SuSe and Solaris use
xntpd whist debian seams to prefer ntpd. It would be great to know the
decisions behind why each distro went the way they did.

Maybe xntp's license contitions are not debian compatable?

Cheers
David