Re: Euro-sign...

On Mon, 02 Dec 2002, Tom wrote:

> Hi all,
>
> For a while now, I've been trying to enable the Euro-sign on my
> machine. I regenerated the right locales, environment variables are
> set up well and the iso-8859-15 charset is enabled in my kernel.
>
> What else could I possibly do? I can see and produce the friggin'
> thing in Mozilla, but that's it. Not on the command line, not in
> knode, not in mutt, not in an [x|a]term. Is there anyone who has
> managed to fully support the Euro-sign on his/her system? Wouldn't
> that person be able to write a small webpage about it?
>
> The world would be grateful. And I, too, for any tips...
>
> Greets,
> Tom

Hi,
first install the euro-support packages.
To enable the euro symbol on console you have to:

Edit in /etc/console-tools (depending on what you have installed - the
console tools or kbd) the config file and add:

SCREEN_FONT_vc1=lat0-16
SCREEN_FONT_vc2=lat0-16
SCREEN_FONT_vc3=lat0-16
SCREEN_FONT_vc4=lat0-16
SCREEN_FONT_vc5=lat0-16
SCREEN_FONT_vc6=lat0-16

Edit you /etc/environment like this:

LANG=de_DE@euro
LC_ALL=de_DE@euro
LANG=de_DE.ISO-8859-15
LANGUAGE=de-DES@euro
LC_TYPE=de_DE@euro

Install the kde package that supports German language. Choose
iso-8859-15 and set it extra in some applications like kedit.

This is only a short descriptions of what I have done to enable the
euro-symbol. For more details see the euro-support packages.

Have fun and success.

Oliver
--
... don't touch the bang bang fruit