Re: installing new kernel-image

"Rodrigo Agerri (ylbaggar)" <agerri@sk.ehu.es> writes:
> in order to install a new kernel in stable, I did
>
> apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-686
>
> I configured /etc/lilo.conf  keeping the older kernel (2.2.20) such as:
>
> image=/vmlinuz
>  label=linux
>  read-only
>
> image=/vmlinuz.old
>   label=kernel-2.2.20
>   read-only
>
> I then executed lilo and got this output:
>
> Warning: Int 0x13 function 8 and function 0x48 return different head/sector
> geometries for BIOS drive 0x80
> Added linux *
> Added kernel-2.2.20
>
> if I try to boot with the new kernel, I get kernel panic (I still can boot
> with the old one)
>
> what did i forget?

I build my own kernels from source so I might be off, but don't the
stock 2.4.x kernels require you to boot with initrd? That could
explain your kernel panic. The drivers necessary to get to your hard
drive, or the file system of your root partition, may not be built in
to the kernel you installed.

With initrd the kernel will boot with initrd, load the modules
necessary to continue booting your system and then proceed to boot
from your root file system on the hard drive.

Unfortunately, since I don't use initrd, I don't know how to fix your
problem. In all likelihood the best way to go is to let the
kernel-image installation modify your lilo.conf itself and then make
the modifications you desire after the installation script for
kernel-image has done its thing.

Gary