Re: installing new kernel-image

Rodrigo Agerri (ylbaggar) wrote:
hi everybody

in order to install a new kernel in stable, I did
apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-686

I configured /etc/lilo.conf keeping the older kernel (2.2.20) such as:
image=/vmlinuz
 label=linux
 read-only

image=/vmlinuz.old
  label=kernel-2.2.20
  read-only

I then executed lilo and got this output:

Warning: Int 0x13 function 8 and function 0x48 return different head/sector geometries for BIOS drive 0x80
Added linux *
Added kernel-2.2.20

if I try to boot with the new kernel, I get kernel panic (I still can boot with the old one)

what did i forget?

cheers

rodrigo

You forgot to add the initrd stuff to the new kernel image "stanza":

> image=/vmlinuz
>  label=linux
>  read-only
   initrd=/initrd.img   <---- add this line

You don't have to modify the "image=/vmlinuz.old" stanza.

Just boot up in the old kernel, edit your /etc/lilo.conf and re-run "lilo" and it should be fine.

The warning is due to the fact that you probably have your BIOS set to use one set of "geometries" and Linux is using another. I use the "LBA" setting here in the BIOS setting for my HD and it seems to work OK. The other setting "Normal" seems to give me this message. It has never caused any problems... just a "warning"...

Cheers,
-Don Spoon-