Re: Now that I am up (help now please)

First of all, some good sites which probably answer these questions for
you anyhow: qref.sf.net and newbiedoc.sf.net.  Check them both out...

On Mon, Dec 02, 2002 at 12:11:58AM -0600, ZephyrQ wrote:
>    Weekend spent messing with dselect and aptitude.  I now have a
> usable-but-not-quit-comfortable system going.
>
>    Some queries:
>
> 	1. I keep getting a 'fake start-stop daemon' error when I try to shut
> down (init 0 from root).  It keeps scrolling across the screen and I
> have to shut off manually--which forces fsck the next boot-up (long time
> on a 60 G drive!).  How can I fix?

No idea about this.  I use 'shutdown -h now' to shutdown my box though.

> 	2.  Can't get wvdial to connect under user--have to use root.  I've
> tried to chmod stuff, but I must be missing something because I keep
> getting an error 2 from pppd.  Fix?

You need to add your user to a particular group (is it dip or dialout, I
can never remember which though...).

> 	3.  What script/file can I create in my user directory so I can control
> what window manager I am running? (gnome, kde, icewm).  Currently, I
> have to run g/k/x(dm) from root.

~/.xsession is the one you want.

> 	BTW--I love aptitude, once I figured out how to use it!
> dpkg-reconfigure, though, is giving me problems; it either won't run or
> give me a 'laptop fan' error (BTW, I'm not on a laptop!).

Weird, which package causes this?

-rob