mixing testing/unstable (was vtk 4.0: lot of problems)

* Alberto Bert (abert@mauriziano.it) [021202 09:24]:
> Hi all,
>
> I've got a Woody. I needed to upgrade vtk to vtk 4.0 (its a c++ library
> for imaging), so I installed it from unstable. It bring with it a LOT of
> other packages and now, as a result apparently, I cannot link any
> program using libraries !! ld gives me a long list of undefined
> references...

How did you bring in the packages from unstable?  I'd recommend you have
both testing and unstable lines in your sources.list and use an
/etc/apt/apt.conf containing 'APT::Default-Release "testing";' and then
use "apt-get -t unstable install libvtk4"

That's probably the most newbie-friendly way to mix distros and not hose
your system.

In the meantime, if your system is already hosed, see if you can
downgrade some packages using old debs from /var/cache/apt/archives

good times,
Vineet
--
http://www.doorstop.net/