Re: caught in apt conflict with libc6, zlib1g and zlib1g-dev

Seneca,

Did the manual install (zlib1g 1:1.1.4-1) and now everything is groovy again.
Apt is happy.

Thank you!

Lukas

--- Seneca <seneca-cunningham@rogers.com> wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 01, 2002 at 06:48:02AM -0800, Lukas Latz wrote:
> > I tried to install Xine (lib-xine and xine-ui) from locally installed
> > debian packages (that I downloaded from their site) on my pretty newly
> > installed debian Woody. Before doing that, I had changed
> > /etc/aps/sources.list from CD to a net URL and got updates from stable
> > main contrib non-free.
> >
> > Xine wanted higher versions of libc6 zlib1g zlib1g-dev (indirectly,
> > because of a lib-png I believe) and I did some apt-get s to meet those
> > expectations, which probably was a big mistake. I don't remember
> > exactly how, I think through a GUI apt thing, I was able to force
> > install some libs.
>
> Debian's package of xine in Woody uses the Woody versions of libc6,
> zlib1g, and zlib1g-dev.
>
> > It didn't work out because apparently I had only changed some of those
> > libs, so I tried to roll back, got rid of Xine and all references to
> > any local stuff in my /etc/aps/sources.list which now reads:
> >
> > deb http://http.us.debian.org/debian stable main contrib non-free
>
> Don't forget to include:
>
>   deb http://security.debian.org stable/updates main contrib non-free
>
> Then occasionally do an apt-get update and upgrade any packages that
> need it.
>
> > The current situation is that dselect shows these conflicts:
> >
> > libc6 V2.2.5-11.2 zlib1g 1:1.1.4-8 (depends on libc6 > 2.3.1-1)
> > zlib1g-dev 1.1.4-1 (depends on zlib1g=1:1.1.4-1)
>
> The zlibg version is current for unstable. zlibg-dev is the version in
> Woody, and libc6 is the correct version for stable.
>
> > Yet the versions numbers it shows me are all installed version =
> > avail. version.  This can't be true, I'm pretty sure the zlib stuff is
> > still as it was from my crazy apt-get with override, which I don't
> > remember exactly how to do.
> >
> > Because of the depency conflicts, I can't apt-get -u upgrade.
> >
> > apt-get install zlib1g tells me it's already the newest version.
> > apt-get install zlib1g-dev also tells me it's already the newest
> > version.  apt-get install libc6 also tells me it's already the newest
> > version.
>
> Just download (you might have to do that manually) zlib1g 1:1.1.4-1 and
> install it with dpkg.
>
> > I'm completely clueless now because on one hand my versions are
> > supposed to be the newest available and on the other hand the libc6
> > version seems to be too low..
>
> If your system were running unstable, zlib1g's dependancies would be
> met.
>
> --
> Seneca
> seneca-cunningham@rogers.com
>

> --

=====
    ** lukaslatz@yahoo.com    m. +31 (0) 6  19544439 **
    **                        t. +31 (0) 10 418 2023 **
    ** philips willemstraat 14B2   3051 PP rotterdam **
    ** IT'S A MAN'S WORLD DESIGNING TACKY INTERFACES **
    **         http://www.bambleweeny.com            **