Re: [OT] Debian vs Gentoo (discussed in newsletter)

On Thu, 28 Nov 2002 13:02:41 +1100,
Russell wrote:

> Pigeon wrote:
> > On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 18:19:20 +1100, bob parker
> > <bob_parker@dodo.com.au> wrote:

[snip]

> > Docs are very much a personal-preference item, but I must say
> > I find the info pages awkward. Jumping about between nodes in
> > a hypertext tree is much more awkward than scrolling up and
> > down a man page.

But you can make info behave like man! Press the space bar and
the info pagaes will happily scroll down for you. Press the
backspace key for the reverse. Ctrl-S to forward search and
Ctrl-R for a reverse search.

> > Same applies to the HOWTOs, though otherwise I quite like
> > them.
> >
> > Dead trees, unfortunately, have it, at least until it's easy to get
> > monitors with four times the screen area of my current 17 inch, a
> > control device something like a mouse with pages, and a transparent
> > way of scribbling notes into the file.
>
> Maybe you should try two or more monitors and run
> xinerama. Mine treats the two monitors as one single desktop
> and its great (fvwm2).  It can be done very cheap with all the
> second-hand monitors and $10 graphic cards at pc swapmeets.

Now, dual monitors might be great for that total gaming
experience or for previewing some 3-D wire frames you're working
on. But for reading documentation? Let's see, you're a speed
reader who can scan two screen fulls of data at a time ;-).