Re: [OT] Debian vs Gentoo (discussed in newsletter)

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 18:19:20 +1100, bob parker
<bob_parker@dodo.com.au> wrote:

>On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 10:39, Benedict Verheyen wrote:
>> Hi,
>>  For instance, a lot of man pages for me don't really
>> help me. They give me a clue yes, but do not provide
>> all the help i need.
>>
>I'm using Woody and there seems to be an info page for
>most commands which generally is more helpful than the
>man page. Contrast this with Mdk which just opens up the
>man page when you info anything.
>
>Bob

Docs are very much a personal-preference item, but I must say I find
the info pages awkward. Jumping about between nodes in a hypertext
tree is much more awkward than scrolling up and down a man page.

Same applies to the HOWTOs, though otherwise I quite like them.

Dead trees, unfortunately, have it, at least until it's easy to get
monitors with four times the screen area of my current 17 inch, a
control device something like a mouse with pages, and a transparent
way of scribbling notes into the file.

Pigeon