Re: [OT] Debian vs Gentoo (discussed in newsletter)

Pigeon wrote:
On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 18:19:20 +1100, bob parker
<bob_parker@dodo.com.au> wrote:

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 10:39, Benedict Verheyen wrote:

Hi,
For instance, a lot of man pages for me don't really
help me. They give me a clue yes, but do not provide
all the help i need.

I'm using Woody and there seems to be an info page for
most commands which generally is more helpful than the
man page. Contrast this with Mdk which just opens up the
man page when you info anything.

Bob

Docs are very much a personal-preference item, but I must say I find
the info pages awkward. Jumping about between nodes in a hypertext
tree is much more awkward than scrolling up and down a man page.

Same applies to the HOWTOs, though otherwise I quite like them.

Dead trees, unfortunately, have it, at least until it's easy to get
monitors with four times the screen area of my current 17 inch, a
control device something like a mouse with pages, and a transparent
way of scribbling notes into the file.

Maybe you should try two or more monitors and run xinerama. Mine
treats the two monitors as one single desktop and its great (fvwm2).
It can be done very cheap with all the second-hand monitors
and $10 graphic cards at pc swapmeets.