Re: [OT] Debian vs Gentoo (discussed in newsletter)

On Fri, Nov 29, 2002 at 09:58:37AM +0800, csj wrote:
> On Thu, 28 Nov 2002 13:02:41 +1100,
> Russell wrote:
> >
> > Pigeon wrote:
> > > On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 18:19:20 +1100, bob parker
> > > <bob_parker@dodo.com.au> wrote:
>
> [snip]
>
> > > Docs are very much a personal-preference item, but I must say
> > > I find the info pages awkward. Jumping about between nodes in
> > > a hypertext tree is much more awkward than scrolling up and
> > > down a man page.
>
> But you can make info behave like man! Press the space bar and
> the info pagaes will happily scroll down for you. Press the
> backspace key for the reverse. Ctrl-S to forward search and
> Ctrl-R for a reverse search.

Hey, that's cool! You can 'n all. I never knew that.

> > > Same applies to the HOWTOs, though otherwise I quite like
> > > them.
> > >
> > > Dead trees, unfortunately, have it, at least until it's easy to get
> > > monitors with four times the screen area of my current 17 inch, a
> > > control device something like a mouse with pages, and a transparent
> > > way of scribbling notes into the file.
> >
> > Maybe you should try two or more monitors and run
> > xinerama. Mine treats the two monitors as one single desktop
> > and its great (fvwm2).  It can be done very cheap with all the
> > second-hand monitors and $10 graphic cards at pc swapmeets.
>
> Now, dual monitors might be great for that total gaming
> experience or for previewing some 3-D wire frames you're working
> on. But for reading documentation? Let's see, you're a speed
> reader who can scan two screen fulls of data at a time ;-).

I think it's quite a good idea - code on one screen and man pages on
the other, *both of them big enough to read*. Next best thing to
having dead-tree docs by the side of the keyboard. Much easier than
switchig vcs all the time. Two xterms on one monitor? too small.

Pigeon