Re: Partition size

Thanks Colin.

Colin Watson wrote:
On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 04:10:00PM +0000, Chris Lale wrote:

I read in the Debian installation manual (v.3.0.24, 24th May 2002
section 6.4) that partitions greater than about 6Gb should be avoided.
Does anyone know if this true? If so, why?

They're a bit of a pain with ext2 because they'll take geological time
to fsck if the system ever shuts down uncleanly. With a journalling
filesystem there should be no problem.

One of my partitions is 8Gb and I have noticed exactly this behaviour. It also takes aeons to mount during boot. Do you think I should convert all my partions to ext3, or just the 8Gb one?

(I am cc-ing this message to the Debian installation manual authors via the debian-boot list. Perhaps they may wish to revise the document to include this information.)

Cheers,

Chris.
--
:  ___   Chris Lale   <ctlale@coolscience.co.uk>                  :