Re: Non-Linux-aware ISP: please spoon feed

Pigeon wrote:
On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 07:00:21 +0000, Chris Lale
<ctlale@coolscience.co.uk> wrote:

Here's a solution you may not like! If all else fails, connect to ukonline using Windows using their CD/helpline. Then copy the settings from dialup networking.

Tee hee... that's how I connect to them at the moment!

It does seem to be the case that pppconfig has created the same
settings for Linux as dialup networking has for Windoze. In both,
dynamic DNS is set.

I can set dynamic DNS in dialup networking and it works, but in
pppconfig, it doesn't. And Windoze being what it is, that "Server
Types" tab is all you get. There's no human-readable file behind it
somewhere to pull extra settings out of.

Perhaps you would be justified in submitting a bug report for pppconfig?

Now, I can surf with waitrose (static), but not ukonline (dynamic); if
I retrieve the IP address of a page while in waitrose, then kill
waitrose and bring up ukonline, I can read the page, so most of it's
working, just the dynamic DNS is dead.

I am no expert but it seems to me that you are hanging onto waitrose's DNS servers, so ukonline continues ok. I seem to remember being able to use Demon's DNS servers because they were publicly available (ie you did not have to login to Demon to use them). This was 2 or 3 years ago. I am not sure if that is still the case, and I am afraid I can't remember the adresses. Might be some mileage here though.

Hth

Chris

--
:  ___   Chris Lale   <ctlale@coolscience.co.uk>                  :