Re: Partition size

On Wed, 27 Nov 2002 19:58:22 +0000, Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org>
wrote:

>On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 04:10:00PM +0000, Chris Lale wrote:
>> Mark L. Kahnt wrote:
>> I read in the Debian installation manual (v.3.0.24, 24th May 2002
>> section 6.4) that partitions greater than about 6Gb should be avoided.
>> Does anyone know if this true? If so, why?
>
>They're a bit of a pain with ext2 because they'll take geological time
>to fsck if the system ever shuts down uncleanly. With a journalling
>filesystem there should be no problem.

Yeah. Computers have a strange way of communicating with people. When
I switch mine on and it thinks I haven't had enough tea to drink
lately, it doesn't say "go and make a pot of tea", it says "/dev/hda4
has reached maximal mount count - check forced". Maybe I should reply
with "ln -s /dev/hda4 /dev/kettle"?

Pigeon