Re: Partition size

On Thu, 28 Nov 2002 10:16:11 +0000, Chris Lale
<ctlale@coolscience.co.uk> wrote:

>Thanks Colin.
>
>Colin Watson wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 27, 2002 at 04:10:00PM +0000, Chris Lale wrote:
>>>
>>>I read in the Debian installation manual (v.3.0.24, 24th May 2002
>>>section 6.4) that partitions greater than about 6Gb should be avoided.
>>>Does anyone know if this true? If so, why?
>>

>> They're a bit of a pain with ext2 because they'll take geological time
>> to fsck if the system ever shuts down uncleanly. With a journalling
>> filesystem there should be no problem.
>
>One of my partitions is 8Gb and I have noticed exactly this behaviour.
>It also takes aeons to mount during boot. Do you think I should convert
>all my partions to ext3, or just the 8Gb one?

My 16Gb partition used to take aeons to mount during boot until I
upgraded from the 2.2.12 kernel that my Debian system came with to
2.4.18. I did this by downloading the kernel source from the kernels
website, on which I found notes telling me also to upgrade e2fsprogs,
init, util-linux and various other things. So I downloaded, compiled
and installed everything it told me to, and now that same partition
mounts more or less instantly. It's only slow every once in a while -
when I get the message "/dev/hda4 has reached maximal mount count;
please execute manually: echo ON > /dev/kettle" - which is
sufficiently infrequent always to take me by surprise.

So, the slow _mount_ as opposed to the slow fsck is probably not a
feature of ext2fs but of the version of mount concerned. Well, it
looks like that.

Pigeon