Re: amavis logging

Kevin Coyner said:

> I've recently installed and configured amavis-postfix and essentially have
> it working as it does catch viruses and lets the good mail go through.
>
> However, for every email that comes through, it is creating a log file in
> the form of a directory called 'amavis-2002....." with contents
> 'email.txt' and sub-directory 'parts'.  For example:

this is normal. however the directories should be automatically removed
after the mail is processed. they are required so that amavis can
extract the message, decode it and scan it. Once the message is processed
the directories are removed. If they are NOT removed I can only thing of
3 reasons:

1) there is a message loop in the system. this in my experience is caused
by a malformed message which fails to decode properly. Usually a bug in
the uuencode perl module. check the mail queue for such a message

2) lack of permissions on the directory/tree so amavis is unable to remove
the directories itself.

3) bug(possibly in the package not amavis itself). I've run amavis on
several systems, but always compiled from source, have never tried the
debian package of it.

if you recieve a ton of email and or it takes a long time to process
each email you will probably always see a amavis directory there,
usually with different numbers tagged on the end, if this is what
your talking about, theres nothing you can do unless you want to
stop scanning messages. Amavis is far more reliable then a scanner
by itself since it handles all the decodings and extractings on it's
own rather then depend upon whatever methods the scanner has(if any)
to do it.

good luck

nate