Re: kernel recompile

heya,

On Mon, Nov 25, 2002 at 01:18:41PM -0600, Craig Jackson wrote:
> Just installed woody but I forgot to install UFS driver. Being somewhat new
> to Debian (I have in the past recompiled the kernel on Gentoo and Redhat)
> what is the standard procedure for recompiling the kernel under Debian? I
> need the source kernel. My present kernel is vmlinuz-2.4.18-bf2.4

here you go:

# apt-get install kernel-source-2.4.19 kernel-package
# cd /usr/src/linux
(set up/copy over your config, which i'm guessing you know how to do)
# make-kpkg --revision my.custom.version.1.0 binary
# dpkg -i ../kernel-image-2.4.19_my.custom.version.1.0_i386.deb

and to upgrade if you find you need more changes, make-kpkg clean, and then
run make-kpkg again incrementing the revision number.  the revision can
really be anything you want it to, but i reccommend starting with an a-z
character and ending with the version number, as it keeps apt/dselect from
thinking that the debian kernel-image package is newer.

hth
	sean