Re: Root can't login (but can in single user mode)

On Fri, 15 Nov 2002 11:53:47 +0100
Xaveer Leijtens <X.J.M.Leijtens@tue.nl> wrote:

> >> I run debian woody on a number of machines, but on one of them I can't
> >> login as root. Only if I reboot in single user mode, everything is fine.
>
> > Did this start after a crash? A similar thing happened to me a while back,
> > my machine crashed and then no user could login except root in single user.
> > I sniffed a pam problem and, sure enough, my /etc/pam.d directory was gone.
> > I just restored it from backup, and all was right again.
>
> No not as far as I can remember. Besides, the /etc/pam.d directory seems
> to be OK.
> Maybe I should add that normal users can login on console, and via e.g.
> kdm. So it looks like there is some additional authentication required
> after going to multiuser mode, that only affects root logins.
>
> Is there anyone that can give me a hint on where to look?
>
> Thanks,
> Xaveer
>

> --

Is it possible for you to login via ssh/console/however as a normal user and
su to root?

Nick Mitchell
Network Engineer
Delaware.Net, Inc.
Mail: nick@delaware.net
Voice:302.736.5515 x17
Web: http://www.delaware.net
ICQ: 31676269
Artificial Intelligence: The Final Frontier