Re: Problems with new X 4.2

On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 08:14:13PM +0000, Pigeon wrote:
> On Thu, 7 Nov 2002 02:39:17 +0000, Colin Watson <cjwatson@debian.org>
> wrote:
>
> >On Thu, Nov 07, 2002 at 02:08:49AM +0000, Pigeon wrote:
> >> Compiled v4.2 of X today.
> >
> >I'm wondering why you don't just use the Debian source package ...
>
> Because I have only just got a Linux-compatible modem, and haven't set
> up my Linux box for Internet yet, so it doesn't come naturally to do
> apt-get --install whatever. What does come naturally is to go to a
> whatever site and download some huge .tgz file (or three). If I'd
> thought, I'd have downloaded the .deb instead. But I didn't think.

apt will become a reflex :)  Whenever I hear about some cool new piece
of software, my first reaction is to start up a terminal and 'apt-cache
search name' to see if it's in Debian yet.  More often than not, I can
just follow that up with an 'apt-get install package'

> installed. "Partly installed" didn't occur to me. What have I lost by
> telling X I haven't got it?

PAM stands for Pluggable Authentication Modules; it's a way of letting
users authenticate and gain permissions to do things.  X without PAM
would not have things like xlock and whatever else might use it...You
could grep for the name of the pam header files to find which things
will be affected.

> (2) (major) The mouse doesn't work! (PS/2 interface trackball on
> /dev/psaux (crwxrwxrwx)). As soon as you touch it, the pointer jumps
> to the top right hand corner of the screen and stays there no matter
> what you do. It does this both with window manager twm that came with
> X 4.2 and fvwm2 / fvwm95 2.0.x off my Debian single CD. Mouse support
> is built into the kernel. "man gpm" suggests that gpm -R will put
> mouse data in Mouse Systems format on /dev/gpmdata. When I configure X
> to look for a Mouse Systems mouse on /dev/gpmdata and run gpm -R
> before I startx, nothing works at all: Mouse pointer doesn't move and
> gpm doesn't show up on ps ax, though something's happening, because
> gpm -k doesn't complain but if I gpm -k again I get a segfault. I
> really have not a clue where to start looking for help on this. Nor do
> I know how to get by by loading the accessx accessory that xf86cfg
> loads - can't find the accessx executable anywhere - and see below:

Have you told X you have a PS/2 mouse, and told it what sort?  Cursor
craziness is nearly always caused by choosing the wrong mouse driver

> (3) Accompanying fvwm* is a package called fvwmconf to configure it,
> which I installed from the Debian CD along with the window managers.
> (Of course.) Having installed it, I typed fvwmconf (what else?) -
> "command not found". So I did find / -name fvwmconf, and all it found
> were directories. No fvwmconf executable anywhere. How do I run this
> thing?

No idea where it is, but run 'dpkg -L packagename' will show you all the
files in a particular package.

-rob