Re: Problems with new X 4.2

On Thu, 7 Nov 2002 20:46:54 +0000, Richard Kimber
<rkimber@ntlworld.com> wrote:

>On Thu, 07 Nov 2002 20:14:13 +0000
>Pigeon <jah.pigeon@ukonline.co.uk> wrote:
>
>> 2) (major) The mouse doesn't work! (PS/2 interface trackball on
>> /dev/psaux (crwxrwxrwx)). As soon as you touch it, the pointer jumps
>> to the top right hand corner of the screen and stays there no matter
>
>This sounds like you don't have the right entry in the X config file.  In
>the mouse section of mine I have:
>
>	Option      "Protocol" "Explorer PS/2"
>
>and you need to have whatever is the correct protocol entry for your
>trackball (I can't help you with that, I'm afraid).
>
>- Richard.

Thanks for the hint - tried other protocols (eventually, all of them);
some give different results; none work properly. The trackball (Trust
Ami Track Dual Scroll) claims to be IntelliMouse compatible, but that
protocol doesn't work either. Trust don't support Linux at all; I
didn't know that when I bought the trackball.

Think it might be something to do with some form of handshaking.
cat /dev/psaux, or hexdump /dev/psaux, gives loads of stuff with the
trackball and nothing at all with an ordinary PS/2 mouse (genuine IBM)
(which _does_ work in X).

The trackball _does_ work in Windoze with just the bog-standard mouse
driver (apart from the scroll wheels) so there can't be too far to go.

Pigeon