Re: questions about a Free Software Symposium presentation

On Sun, 2002-10-27 at 19:00, Oleg wrote:
> Hi
>
> While I was reading http://telemetrybox.org/tokyo/ (a paper about Debian
> based on a presentation), a few things cought my attention:
>
> The last line of the author's academic credentials reads:
>
> "Ph.D. Candidate, Fuller Theological Seminary, 2003(?). Divine action in the
> context of Scientific Thinking: From Quantum Mechanics to Divine Action. "
>
> I'd like to know if this is a joke or a prank (seriously)
>
> The paper also mentioned that the author, Christoph Lameter, is a faculty
> member of the University of Phoenix. I'm a Ph.D. candidate myself (at
> Columbia), and I thought one could not be a faculty member (anywhere) without
> a doctorate degree (at least). No?
>
> Cheers,
> Oleg

While I am the first to acknowledge that there are those who are
religious who don't concur with scientific interpretations, one does not
preclude the other. I am quite familiar with writing and research that
explain the order in the simplicity of the laws of physics (particularly
from the perspective of those for whom physics and applied mathematics
are simple) as either being an example of divinity, the creation of
divinity, or divinity itself. I seem to recall comments by Dr. Stephen
Hawking to the latter effect in "A Brief History of Time" (I lent my
hardcover copy of it to someone some 15 years ago and never saw it again
- otherwise I'd offer the quote.)

Connecting it into the chaos of a computing environment is not a stretch
at all. That said, it isn't for everyone, particularly if you are of a
more agnostic outlook.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org