Re: questions about a Free Software Symposium presentation

Hello Oleg,

On Oct 27, Oleg <oleg_inconnu@myrealbox.com> wrote:

|  The paper also mentioned that the author, Christoph Lameter, is a
|  faculty member of the University of Phoenix. I'm a Ph.D. candidate
|  myself (at Columbia), and I thought one could not be a faculty
|  member (anywhere) without a doctorate degree (at least). No?

Depends on the school.  Both of the math faculty members at my school
are PhD-less, though at least one is admittedly a special case
(completed all the requirements, then found out that his thesis had
already been done, or so I've heard).

Take a look at some school's undergraduate prospectus, and find the
place where it tells you "Percentage of faculty with terminal degree
in their field."  I don't recall a single school I looked at having
that at 100%, which implies people without doctorates (or the
equivalent in the case of fine arts, create writing, etc.).

-Jason

--
Jason Wojciechowski==jwojciechowski@hampshire.edu
http://wonka.hampshire.edu/~jason

During the voyage of life, remember to keep an eye out for a fair
wind; batten down during a storm; hail all passing ships; and fly your
colors proudly.