Re: Knoppix: Was: The *ONLY* real problem with Debian...

Shawn Lamson wrote:

thanks for the reply - didnt mean for you to have to go to all of that
trouble :)  I will definitely look at the website before I try it
anyway.  I have several friends who are eager to try Linux until the
word "partitition" comes up.  There is even one guy at work who is
looking into some "swappable" IDE/HD bay so that he can just install
Linux on one disk and swap it in to try it!  I guess Knoppix isnt the
panacea, b/c to get these guys interested in Linux they are going to
want a Desktop like KDE, but to run KDE I assume it is going to take a
lot of RAM etc, meaning most likely it will require SWAP space, meaning
partitioning... oh well!

Shawn

Depends on what you mean by "a lot of RAM"; again, from the website:

/Begin quote

   What are the minimum system requirements?

   * Intel-compatible CPU (i486 or later),
   * 16 MB of RAM for text mode, at least 96 MB for graphics mode with
     KDE (at least 128 MB of RAM is recommended to use the various
     office products),
   * bootable CD-ROM drive, or a boot floppy and standard CD-ROM
     (IDE/ATAPI or SCSI),
   * standard SVGA-compatible graphics card,
   * serial or PS/2 standard mouse or IMPS/2-compatible USB-mouse.

/End of quote

I for one am *very* impressed with Knoppix. I showed it to my local LUG two months ago, and last week our LUG president and our LUG founder were still raving about the CD. It's not going to be as fast as a production machine, but it's pretty and easy and pretty much just works. If you've got a relatively new machine laying around (PII with 128MB RAM), pop in the CD and show it to your co-workers. If you want to impress them even further, take out the hard drive first. If you want to impress them even further, use it on a hosed Windows laptop from which need to get data before doing a wipe/rebuild; boot Knoppix, connect to the network, upload their files, then you can rebuild the box without worrying about losing the data. Or if you've got a problem with a Windows box and you can't determine if the problem is in hardware or software, boot off the Knoppix CD and make your tests, thereby eliminating Windows from the equation. Knoppix: highly recommended.

Kent