Re: Knoppix: Was: The *ONLY* real problem with Debian...

Tom Cook wrote:
On  0, Kent West <westk@acu.edu> wrote:
[snip]

Unless the machine is low on RAM (32MB for non-GUI mode I believe; 96 or so for KDE mode), forcing Knoppix to use the hard drive for swap space, the hard drives are mounted read-only in my experience. Once in, you can remount them rw.

What the...

How can a swap partition be read-only?  How can a disk be used as swap
without overwriting (probably FAT32) partitions on the disk?

Tom

It appears you misread the sentence; here it is again, restated.

The hard drives are mounted read-only in most cases. But in the event that the machine is low on RAM, the hard drive is mounted read/write so that a swap file (not partition) can be created/used by Knoppix.