Re: Exim configuration

    "Rob" == R Ransbottom <R> writes:

    Rob> On Wed, Oct 23, 2002 at 09:11:24PM -0500, Shyamal Prasad
    Rob> wrote:

    R> How should I make this work?
    >>  My guess is you have attbi.com listed in local_domains in
    >> exim.conf.

    Rob> Yes, it is.

That is certainly a problem, since I am guessing that attbi.com is not
your localdomain, in the sense that your exim server is not
responsible for mail delivery to attbi.com. I am assuming, of course,
that you don't work for and maintain mail delivery services for
attbi.com ;-)

Your local_domains should list exactly those domains that can be
handled locally be exim. When an address matches a local domain, it is
processed by the directors later in your file. When an address is not
in your local domain, it will be passed to the routers that are listed
in your file (the routers will include your smarthost setting).

Typically you set local_domains to your hostname and localhost. You
should not (AFAIK) use your ISP's domain if you are a normal
dial-up/xDSL customer.

If you are wondering how to get your outgoing email have the correct
email address (like user@isp.com) look at /etc/email-addresses to do
that.

    >> What does 'exim -bt randomuser@attbi.com' say?

    Rob> It says:

    Rob> user "nonesuch" for file existence test not found
    Rob> nonesuch@attbi.com is undeliverable: unknown local-part
    Rob> "nonesuch" in domain "attbi.com"

I'm surprised that randomuser became nonesuch, but I don't know
everything about exim or your set up either....

    Rob> I'd like to use the ISP's smtp server as my smarthost except
    Rob> for a few specific hosts or a private/bogus domain referring
    Rob> to my localnet.

The simplest way is to add domainlist before the smart host entry in
the routers section:

bogus:
  driver = domainlist
  transport = remote_smtp
  route_list = "bogus.net smtp.bogus.net byname; \
                other.home smtp.other.home byname"

If you have just one bogus entry, leave out that trailing semi colon.

Good luck!
Shyamal