Re: Knoppix: Was: The *ONLY* real problem with Debian...

Levi Waldron wrote:
So, preinstall PCs for people, use Knoppix, or create Live CDs with BootCD
(such as http://asgardsrealm.net/linux/livec1vn)

How safe do you think Knoppix is? I would make a pretty bad impression of Linux to my friends if I gave them the demo CD to show them its virtues and it damaged their current OS or wrote over any data. I think I would only feel comfortable using it to show off linux on other people's computers if it were really, really safe in that respect.

Unless the machine is low on RAM (32MB for non-GUI mode I believe; 96 or so for KDE mode), forcing Knoppix to use the hard drive for swap space, the hard drives are mounted read-only in my experience. Once in, you can remount them rw.

So basically, Knoppix is very safe.

Kent