Re: Where to put .Xmodmap ?

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 01:52:45PM +0200, Vincent Lefevre wrote:

> I don't use Xsession files. But you need to make sure that the above
> xmodmap settings are not overridden by a xmodmap call in an Xsession
> file.

As far as I could tell they weren't - I grepped the /etc/X11 directory.

> Also, before calling xmodmap, the DISPLAY variable needs to be set (in
> case it is not set properly). I have:
>
> if [ -z "$DISPLAY" ]; then
>   DISPLAY=":0"
> fi

Okay I set DISPLAY at the start of the script, but that didn't help either.

Well I've bitten the bullet and used KDE's autostart folder to solve this
because on the one hand I dislike touching /etc files where there's an
alternative that can be done in $HOME, especially as in this case where
its arguably a user preference.

On the other hand if I do solve it with a user .xinit or .Xsession then it
involves duplicating/overriding the global scripts in a way thats overly
complicated for the sake of a single key, so I don't like that either.

Thanks very much for your help.

--
John Keniry