Re: exim configuration

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 08:08:20PM +0530, Sandip P Deshmukh wrote:

| i am yet to understand the term smtp smart host.

Ok, here's the deal :  a "smarhost" is a host that is smart.  Your
host is dumb -- IOW it doesn't know how to deliver mail to the
recipient.  All it knows is that some other machine (the "smarthost")
knows how to do it.  So your machine asks the smarhost to please
deliver the message for you.

Whether or not to use a smarthost or to make your own host smart is a
choice.  The "typical home user" will use a smarthost.  The smarthost
is the host you told Outlook or Netscape (or whatever) to use as the
outgoing server.  If you use a smarthost, then your machine's config
can be fairly simple _and_ you won't need to be connected for extended
periods of time to ensure the mail is delivered (eg if the
receipient's system is down temporarily).

HTH,
-D

--
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
        Philippians 4:13

http://dman.ddts.net/~dman/