Re: Enterprise Kernel

On Mon, Oct 21, 2002 at 10:20:13AM +0800, Patrick Cheong Shu Yang wrote:
> All,
>

> That is exactly what I did....but that would not be what a SysAdm would
> want...he/she would want to just select an 'enterprise' kernel from the
> package list.

A Linux sysadmin that doesn't know how to recompile a kernel needs to
find a new job.  I learned in about 25 minutes when I was 13. :-)

> If the Debian community is to encourage the use of Debian as the
> distribution choice for the enterprise, this may be one of the many ways
> to help it along...

One of the nice things about Debian is that people volunteer to do the
work.  I do not need this kernel.  The people that I support do not need
this kernel, therefore, I have no stake in whether this kernel is
installed or not.  If you care, then you can volunteer to maintain it.
If there would be a demand for it, a real strong demand, then we would
already have packages for it.

Debian isn't about making money or about having millions of users (both
are nice), but about freedom.

Just my two cents,

Edward Guldemond

Key fingerprint:  29FF 2969 A04E F934 3F03
                  4329 BC56 3AA7 2F57 6735