Re: Enterprise Kernel

> That is exactly what I did....but that would not be what a SysAdm would
> want...he/she would want to just select an 'enterprise' kernel from the
> package list.

or, more properly, an 'smp-largemem' kernel, or somesuch - enterprise
would imply something other than large memory support..

> One has to bear in mind that not all SysAdm know how to re-compile a
> kernel...and using kernel-package to do it...:-P

all sysadmins should.. I learned to recompile my kernel at 15 years
old.  If a company can afford to purchase 4GB of memory, they can afford
a few hours of their sysadmin's time to learn to recompile the kernel..
but nonetheless, it isn't necessarily a bad idea to include a high mem
support kernel imho..

> If the Debian community is to encourage the use of Debian as the
> distribution choice for the enterprise, this may be one of the many ways
> to help it along...

in my experience, the debian community does not respond well to
suggestions like this - the debian community could really, generally,
care less if anyone new adopts it, it is a self supporting community
that, by nature of its' good software, attracts newcomers at a steady
pace (as proven by the traffic on this list ;p).

Cheers,

JR