Enterprise Kernel

Hi all,

It's been awhile since I last wrote to the list. Anyway, let's get down
to it...

I work at a securities firm (securities as in stock market). Most, if
not all, of our backoffice systems run on Linux (some M$, Solaris and
HP-UX). The majority of the Linux installs are RH 7.x whilst the
remaining are Debian :-). As most of the machines installed are
enterprise-class boxes i.e. 4 Xeon CPUS, 4GB RAM, >72GB HDD, Gigabit
NICs, etc., the default kernels shipped in Potato/Woody may not be built
to meet the needs of these machines. E.g. The default kernels shipped
were not compiled to map RAM above 1GB....as I recently discovered when
I ran top and free on one machine with 4 Xeons, 4.5GB RAM and 36.4GB
mirrored hardisks.

I had to re-compile the kernel to map the RAM above 1GB. Are there plans
to include kernels compiled/built for the enterprise in mind...this
would surely help in making Debian the choice of distribution when it
comes to the enterprise...maybe calling it
kernel-image-2.4.18-868-smp-enterprise or something...

Thoughts anyone?

--
Patrick