Re: DWL-650 Wireless PCMCIA Card

James Hughes wrote:
On Sat, Oct 12, 2002 at 10:08:36PM -0500, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
Sorry, should have noted in previous mail, but...

I'm no expert, but I believe this is because you don't have a socket
driver loaded.  Based on the kernel listed in your output, you should
probably be loading "yenta_socket".  This is normally done by putting
the following in /etc/default/pcmcia:

  PCIC=yenta_socket

I have PCIC=i82365, which, again, works. Can you explain why
yenta_socket is the better option?

I believe yenta vs. i82365 is an issue of whether you are using pcmcia from the kernel or from the pcmcia_cs package. This is explained in the documentation provided with pcmcia_cs[1].

I also have this card, and I can confirm that both implementations of pcmcia work. I use linux-wlan-ng, but the orinoco_cs driver also works. I cannot explain why you are having trouble loading the drivers on boot. It took me a while to get things working properly. I often found it useful to wipe /etc/pcmcia and reinstall pcmcia_cs and linux-wlan-ng from source because I had fiddled with the config files beyond repair.

[1] http://pcmcia-cs.sourceforge.net/ftp/README-2.4

--
Brian J. Stults                  Department of Sociology
phone: (352) 392-0265 x286       University of Florida