Re: debian.org Jabber server?

[writing to debian-user as maybe others are interested]

also sprach Christian Kurz <shorty@debian.org> [2002.10.14.0910 +0200]:
> Would you mind explaining why in your opinion an IM system would squash
> the productivity towards zero? Also I wonder if you then think that IRC
> or e-Mails, both privat and to some lists, squash the productivity
> towards zero? I don't think that an IM system would squash the
> productivity towards zero. The productivity depends on the users of the
> IM system and how much the IMs are influencing his work, either privat
> or business. I would say that it's quite possible to use IM systems and
> still be productiv and do your work, if you don't let the IM systems
> distract you.

IMs are about instant communication. I think they harm productivity
for the same reason that I think IRC is bad. Of course, they can be
put to productive use, but whether on IRC or IM, it's just too easy to
get off-track. At least that's my experience.

I, for one, am not willing to participate in IM for Debian. This is
because I reserve some time each day for Debian (other than
mailinglists, which I deal with when I am idle). I cannot afford to
use some time from the non-Debian budget for Debian.

So I'd be online like 1 hour/day, which makes it rather hard for
people to contact me. With email, you can send me a message at any
time, and I will get to it at the next possible time. Email also
allows me to queue items by importance and get to them one by one. If
I'd use an IM and I'd be alerted to a bug which I then try to solve,
what if someone posts a second bug right as I solve the first? An
annoying window pops up, distracting me. Sure, I can tell Jabber to
stay minimized and get to the queue of incoming messages every now and
then, but why in the world would I want that considering that I (and
many others) already have a sophisticated email system in place to do
exactly that. IM has no procmail, IM has no vi, IM has not the
features of mutt.

Why reinvent the wheel?

IMs are great for personal communication and for intra-company
communication. But I don't see them as applicable as part of
a productive process.

`. `'`