DWL-650 Wireless PCMCIA Card

Hello,

I recently installed this card on my laptop and it works, but it
doesn't "Just Work". The problem, as far as I can tell is that when
booting, the pcmcia startup scripts attempt to associate the wlan0
interface with the ds module (as illustrated by the boot-time messages
I will post below). This fails, as the card is supposed to work (and
does) with the linux-wlan-ng driver, which is named prism2_cs. Later
in the boot process, something also attempts to fire up the card with
this driver, but this also fails (maybe because it looks like it's
already been configured to use ds? I don't know, I'm quite confused by
it all).

Anyway, after much trial and error, I've concocted a script that gets
the card working once the machine is booted, the gist of which is:
ifup with a static configuration, ifdown, replace the static config
(I'm talking /etc/network/interfaces here) with one suitable for dhcp
(I'm using dhcpcd) and ifup again. Then it just goes for days...

Here's the boot-time message where it first tries to fire up wlan0:

Configuring network interfaces... Linux PCMCIA Card Services 3.2.1
  kernel build: 2.4.16 unknown
ds: no socket drivers loaded!
unloading PCMCIA Card Services
insmod: /lib/modules/2.4.16/pcmcia/ds.o: init_module: Operation not permitted
insmod: Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
      You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
insmod: /lib/modules/2.4.16/pcmcia/ds.o: insmod wlan0 failed
wlanctl-ng: No such device
Failed to enable the device, exitcode= 1 .
run-parts: /etc/network/if-pre-up.d/linux-wlan-ng_pre-up exited with return code 1
Linux PCMCIA Card Services 3.2.1
  kernel build: 2.4.16 unknown
ds: no socket drivers loaded!
unloading PCMCIA Card Services
insmod: /lib/modules/2.4.16/pcmcia/ds.o: init_module: Operation not permitted
insmod: Hint: insmod errors can be caused by incorrect module parameters, including invalid IO or IRQ parameters.
      You may find more information in syslog or the output from dmesg
insmod: /lib/modules/2.4.16/pcmcia/ds.o: insmod wlan0 failed
dhcpcd[110]: dhcpStart: ioctl SIOCGIFHWADDR: No such device

Thanks,
James