Re: .."respawning too fast.."

On Monday 14 October 2002 12:13 am, Joey Quevedo wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm setting up my mgetty and got this error message:
>
> "INIT: Id "M0" respawning too fast: disabled for 5 minutes"
>
> What could be the cause of this?

i've never seen that on a linux box but saw it plenty on freebsd
installations on i386 boxes some years ago. back then, it had to do with
hardware issues, where improperly configured kernels were banging on
inappropriately assigned hardware. from what i remember, though i may be
wrong here, the main issue had to do with fixed irq assignments on net cards.
these were isa cards. if my memory serves me well, putting the card in the
last available slot solved the problem. are you running two net cards in the
one box, by any chance? if so, try configuring one first, and reboot to make
sure it's available; and then install the other.

ben