Re: Gnome 2 and Font Servers

On Fri, 2002-10-11 at 18:44, Hubert Chan wrote:

> Mark> Well, I tried that, because XftConfig was limited to just:
>
> Mark> dir "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1" dir
> Mark> "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType"
>
> Mark> and now contains:
>
> Mark> dir "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/Type1"
> Mark> dir "/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/TrueType"
> Mark> dir "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc"
> Mark> dir "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/cyrillic"
> Mark> dir "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled"
> Mark> dir "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled"
> Mark> dir "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/Speedo"
> Mark> dir "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi"
> Mark> dir "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi"
>
> Oh.  OK, I failed to mention, Xft can only use TrueType and Type1 fonts
> (and maybe Speedo, but I'm not sure about that).  Since the directories
> that you added only contain bitmapped fonts, this won't help.
>
> I believe if you turn off antialiasing, both KDE and GTK will use the
> classic X font selection method, which should be able to find all your
> fonts.  If antialiasing is on, they use Xft which only uses TrueType and
> Type1 (for now -- I hear bitmapped support will eventually be added to
> FreeType, which should trickle down the support to Xft).
>
> Since you mention that you need to support Arabic and Cyrillic text, it
> would probably be better to turn off antialiasing, since foreign
> character support in TrueType and Type1 fonts seems to be a bit sparse
> at the moment, unless you get a hold of the Arial Unicode font, or some
> other good font that has support for non-latin characters.  It's
> probably easier to find a font with Cyrillic characters than one with
> Arabic.
>
> You can turn off antialiasing in KDE using some control panel
> application.  For GTK, I think you just need to make sure that the
> GDK_USE_XFT environment variable isn't set.

Okay - I remember a message just a few days back on this list that spoke
of including that in /etc/environment and /etc/init.d/gdm for
antialiasing - I do some arty stuff at times, so I wanted the sharper
text (silly me ;)

> Mark> followed by logging out, restarting xfs and xfstt, and gdm, only
> Mark> to find myself no further ahead.
>
> Xft isn't related to xfs (or xfstt).  Changes to XftConfig should be
> almost-immediate (i.e. you should just need to restart an application).
>
> BTW, you shouldn't need both xfs and xfstt.

Okay - seems to me a HOWTO on TrueType (not sure which one - I noticed
there was multiple ones) said it was needed, and that while xfs is on
port 7100, xfstt should be explicitly set to something like port 7101
(which I've done.) I run the font servers as I'm looking at hooking in
an old box as a backup console for when I succeed in hanging X or my
keyboard, and while I'll load it up with system monitors for both
machines, I don't want it to be loaded with tasks like fonts that could
be easily managed from the faster main box.

Thanks for all the help on this, Hubert - I was running out of ideas,
even with nearly 20 years of Unix typesetting experience - all the way
back to the watbun and mathNEWS.
> --
> Hubert Chan <hubert@uhoreg.ca> - http://www.uhoreg.ca/
> PGP/GnuPG key: 1024D/124B61FA
> Fingerprint: 96C5 012F 5F74 A5F7 1FF7  5291 AF29 C719 124B 61FA
> Key available at wwwkeys.pgp.net.   Encrypted e-mail preferred.
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935
Email: kahnt@hosehead.dyndns.org