Re: Gnome 2 and Font Servers

Yep - replying to myself - sorry folks

On Fri, 2002-10-11 at 19:03, Mark L. Kahnt wrote:
> [...]
[***SNIP!!!***]
> > I believe if you turn off antialiasing, both KDE and GTK will use the
> > classic X font selection method, which should be able to find all your
> > fonts.  If antialiasing is on, they use Xft which only uses TrueType and
> > Type1 (for now -- I hear bitmapped support will eventually be added to
> > FreeType, which should trickle down the support to Xft).
> >
> > Since you mention that you need to support Arabic and Cyrillic text, it
> > would probably be better to turn off antialiasing, since foreign
> > character support in TrueType and Type1 fonts seems to be a bit sparse
> > at the moment, unless you get a hold of the Arial Unicode font, or some
> > other good font that has support for non-latin characters.  It's
> > probably easier to find a font with Cyrillic characters than one with
> > Arabic.
> >
> > You can turn off antialiasing in KDE using some control panel
> > application.  For GTK, I think you just need to make sure that the
> > GDK_USE_XFT environment variable isn't set.
>
> Okay - I remember a message just a few days back on this list that spoke
> of including that in /etc/environment and /etc/init.d/gdm for
> antialiasing - I do some arty stuff at times, so I wanted the sharper
> text (silly me ;)

That works beautifully with KDE, and applications written for Gnome 2,
but, an interesting side effect of restricting things to xft only - it
was permitting me to log into Gnome sessions - without it, Gnome 2 craps
out while loading up when logging in as a Gnome session. I've got
libpango1.0 version 1.0.4-2, and it was installed *in around* the time
when my ability to run Gnome arose. Running XFree86 4.1.0, I *wonder* if
that is the problem (given that there are notes about problems with
PangoXft and Xft prior to that for XFree86 4.2, but my experience was
that that was the font source that worked - something else appears to be
clobbering some key aspect of Gnome and killing my Gnome session during
the login.

.gnome-errors reads as follows:
/etc/gdm/Sessions//Gnome: checking /etc/login.defs for option UMASK
/etc/gdm/Sessions//Gnome: /etc/login.defs: "UMASK" is "022"
/etc/gdm/Sessions//Gnome: checking /etc/login.defs for option ULIMIT
/etc/gdm/Sessions//Gnome: checking /etc/login.defs for option MAIL_DIR
/etc/gdm/Sessions//Gnome: /etc/login.defs: "MAIL_DIR" is "/var/mail"
/etc/gdm/Sessions//Gnome: using /etc/X11/Xsession.options for options
/etc/gdm/Sessions//Gnome: checking /etc/X11/Xsession.options for option
allow-user-resources
/etc/gdm/Sessions//Gnome: checking /etc/X11/Xsession.options for option
allow-user-modmap

(process:11397): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
        Using the fallback 'C' locale.
SESSION_MANAGER=local/hosehead:/tmp/.ICE-unix/11397
Loaded background '0x80cbd88

** (gnome-session:11397): WARNING **: Cannot load font for XLFD
'-ttf-arial-medium-r-normal--14-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1

** (gnome-session:11397): WARNING **: Cannot load font for XLFD
'-ttf-arial-medium-r-normal--14-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1

** (gnome-session:11397): WARNING **: Cannot load font for XLFD
'-ttf-verdana-medium-r-normal--14-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1

** (gnome-session:11397): WARNING **: Cannot load font for XLFD
'-ttf-verdana-medium-r-normal--14-*-*-*-*-*-iso8859-1

[FVWM][main]: <<ERROR>> Can't set locale. Check your $LC_CTYPE or $LANG.

(gnome-panel:11470): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
        Using the fallback 'C' locale.

(nautilus:11472): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
        Using the fallback 'C' locale.
----- RELOADING FOLDER: Applications -----
----- RELOADING FOLDER: Applications -----
----- RELOADING FOLDER: Development Tools -----
----- RELOADING FOLDER: Games -----
----- RELOADING FOLDER: Graphics -----
----- RELOADING FOLDER: Internet -----
----- RELOADING FOLDER: Multimedia -----
----- RELOADING FOLDER: Office -----
----- RELOADING FOLDER: Desktop Preferences -----
----- RELOADING FOLDER: Advanced -----
----- RELOADING FOLDER: System -----
----- RELOADING FOLDER: Sawfish -----
----- RELOADING FOLDER: System -----
----- RELOADING FOLDER: Utilities -----
X connection to :0.0 broken (explicit kill or server shutdown).
The application 'nautilus' lost its connection to the display :0.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.
gnome-panel: Fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server
:0.0.
gnome-smproxy: unable to open display :0
The application 'gnome-session' lost its connection to the display :0.0;
most likely the X server was shut down or you killed/destroyed
the application.

(gnome-panel:11480): Gtk-WARNING **: Locale not supported by C library.
        Using the fallback 'C' locale.
Xlib: Client is not authorized to connect to Server

(gnome-panel:11480): Gtk-WARNING **: cannot open display: :0

I can run the components from within an X Session - to the point that
everything I can identify in a normal Gnome session is running, but
logging in to Gnome, even as Failsafe, just dumps back out around when
it is ready to start fleshing out gnome-panel. Given that the applets
seem to be working fine, I'm wondering if gnome-session has something
blocking or missing a service that is provided in launching an X
Session.

Any ideas? Anyone?
ML Kahnt New Markets Consulting
Tel: (613) 531-8684 / (613) 539-0935