Re: Unable to use network card with 2.4.19

Darryl L. Pierce, 2002-Oct-10 10:33 -0400:
> On 2002.10.09 21:28 Shyamal Prasad wrote:
> >You certainly should not have to. Look in the
> >/boot/config-2.4.19{-arch} file. There is a section that looks like
> >this (form 2.4.18-k7)
> >
> >#
> ># Networking options
> >#
> >CONFIG_PACKET=m
> >CONFIG_PACKET_MMAP=y
> >CONFIG_NETLINK_DEV=m
> >CONFIG_NETFILTER=y
> ># CONFIG_NETFILTER_DEBUG is not set
> >CONFIG_FILTER=y
>
> These values are all set in the config file installed with the
> kernel-image package.
>
> >In this case the CONFIG_PACKET option indicates a module. Make sure
> >you have 'af_packet' listed in /etc/modules to get it loaded at boot.
>
> I rebooted and did an lsmod and saw af_packet was installed. I typed
> ifconfig and it only listed the loopback interface. I did "ifup eth0"
> and it said the connection was already configured. So, I finally did
> "ifdown eth0" and then "ifup eth0" and the connection came up!
> Rebooting, I had to go through the same steps to get the interface
> online. Any ideas on that?

A couple thoughts:

1. I don't know if it's been suggested, but check
  /etc/network/interfaces and make sure it has these lines:

    auto lo
    iface lo inet loopback
    auto eth0
    iface eth0 inet dhcp

  This will make it use dhcp to configure eth0 at boot.

2. Actually, that's my only thought :-)

jc

--
Jeff Coppock		Systems Engineer