Re: ISPs are blocking port 445?

On Wed, 2002-10-09 at 14:22, Tim Dijkstra wrote:
> On Wed, 9 Oct 2002 18:13:42 +0200
> Tim Dijkstra <newsuser@famdijkstra.org> wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> >
> > This is slightly offtopic, but I didn't got a relevant answer in other
> > places, so I thought lets ask my debian friends ;)
> >
> > I had my apache listening on port 445 for https connections, this
> > worked perfectly for a long time. Today I got a message from a user
> > stating that he couldn't get a connection. I have since then
> > reproduced the problem from a few domains. Then I checked everything:
> > firewall, apache logs, etc, but couldn't find a problem with my conf.
> > Could it be that there are some ISP's that are blocking 445? I found
> > some reference to DoS attacks on windows machines targeted at port
> > 445..
> >
> I know it's rather silly to reply on your on post, but I did some more
> research... It seems that our M$ using friends have some problems.
> Win2k/XP have a filesharing protocol on 445, and because most users of
> M$ products are so enlightend to choose a blank admin password, this
> is a security issue.
> So apperently some ISP's have chosen to 'protect' their users from these
> attacks and are dropping these packets...

Cox Cable did the same thing with port 80 soon after Code Red
struck.  Yet another reason why I hate MSFT and lusers.

At the same time, they decided to be really anal and block port
25, too.  Bah!

| Ron Johnson, Jr.     mailto:ron.l.johnson@cox.net          |
| Jefferson, LA  USA   http://members.cox.net/ron.l.johnson  |
| "they love our milk and honey, but preach about another    |
|  way of living"                                            |
|    Merle Haggard, "The Fighting Side Of Me"                |