Re: network - notwork! unable to access lan and net

On  0, sandip <deshmukh@zapo.net> wrote:
[snip]
> subsequently, i have edited /etc/network/interfaces by hand and set the
> things right - by hand! i used vi for the first time and was amazed at the
> facilities it provides. all *i mean it* win editors look pale compared to vi!

Come now, emacs runs on windoze...

[snip]
> further i wanted to know if there are any other places where i need to change
> ip address my machine and gateway other than what i have already done.

I don't think so, but you can always 'grep -r /etc/* <your_old_ip>' to
see what has your old IP address in its config files.

[snip]
> last but not the least - how do i access my lan resources? files on other pcs
> and printers connected to them? in windows i can do it!

apt-get install samba
apt-get install cupsys cupsys-bsd

The samba package contains the smbfs thingy that lets you
mount/unmount samba (ie windoze) shares on your linux box, as well as
stuff for printing to printers shared using samba.  CUPS gives you a
nice way of setting up printers and printing to them (I even figured
out how to get it to print to netware printers).

Tom
--
Tom Cook

"That you're not paranoid does not mean they're not out to get you."
	- Robert Waldner

Get my GPG public key: https://pinky.its.adelaide.edu.au/~tkcook/tom.cook-at-adelaide.edu.au