Re: network - notwork! unable to access lan and net

On Saturday 05 October 2002 21:07, you wrote:
>     "Sandip" == Sandip P Deshmukh <Sandip> writes:
>

>     Sandip> objective: access the internet from my computer.  access
>     Sandip> other computers on lan access hp printers connected other
>     Sandip> computers (640c, 710c, r45, etc)
>
>     Sandip> status: i am unable to ping my machine's ip address,
>     Sandip> server's ip address.
>
>     Sandip> what i have done so far: seen ifconfig, looked at
>     Sandip> /etc/network/interfaces, /etc/init.d/networking stop and
>     Sandip> start
>

>     Sandip> i am appending: dmesg - just after the system is up
>     Sandip> ifconfig output interfaces - /etc/network/interfaces
>     Sandip> dmesg1 - after starting and stopping networking
>
>     Sandip> i have not edited either of these outputs a bit.
>
>     Sandip> dmesg: ------ Linux version 2.4.18-bf2.4 (root@zombie)
>     Sandip> (gcc version 2.95.4 20011002 (Debian prerelease)) #1 Son
>     Sandip> Apr 14 09:53:28 CEST 2002
>
>     Sandip> eth0: D-Link DFE-538TX (RealTek RTL8139) at 0xc481a000,
>     Sandip> 00:50:ba:3c:c0:93, IRQ 11
>     Sandip> eth0: Identified 8139 chip type 'RTL-8139C'
>
>     Sandip> eth0: Setting 100mbps full-duplex based on auto-negotiated
>     Sandip> partner ability 45e1.
>
>     Sandip>       gateway 192.168.1.22
>
> Everything looks pretty good. So, first, try pinging 192.168.1.22. If
> you can get that box to ping then you can move onto anything
> else. Now, tell us this:
>
> (1) Is there a TX/RX light on the ethernet port on your NIC? On the
> switch/hub that you are connected to?
>
> (2) Are those lights on? Are you using the right kind of cable. Some
> switches/hub will one port that requires a cross over cable, while all
> the others will use normal cables and so on.
>
> (3) Do those lights blink when you try ping from the Linux box?
>
> (4) What does "netstat -rn" say?
>
> (5) If you can ping the gateway, what the nearest machine after the
> gateway that won't ping?
>
> (6) Finally, run ping on the Linux box, not somewhere else.
>
> Cheers!
> Shyamal

thanx for the help. it was an oversight on my part. my apologies to the
group. i had entered ip addresses incorrectly.

subsequently, i have edited /etc/network/interfaces by hand and set the
things right - by hand! i used vi for the first time and was amazed at the
facilities it provides. all *i mean it* win editors look pale compared to vi!

and all seems well now. however, i wanted to know if there is a tool/ utility
to do what i did by hand.

further i wanted to know if there are any other places where i need to change
ip address my machine and gateway other than what i have already done.

i also will like to know what does entry 'network' in /etc/network/interfaces
mean and where does one change dns server entries?

last but not the least - how do i access my lan resources? files on other pcs
and printers connected to them? in windows i can do it!

thanx in advance,

sandip