Re: network - notwork! unable to access lan and net

sandip wrote:

 Sandip> status: i am unable to ping my machine's ip address,
thanx for the help. it was an oversight on my part. my apologies to the group. i had entered ip addresses incorrectly.

subsequently, i have edited /etc/network/interfaces by hand and set the things right - by hand! i used vi for the first time and was amazed at the facilities it provides. all *i mean it* win editors look pale compared to vi!
vi ?!! You were amazed by vi?!

and all seems well now. however, i wanted to know if there is a tool/ utility to do what i did by hand.
The installer routine normally handles network setup, but after initial installation, I'm not aware of any tools for editing network setup in Debian.

further i wanted to know if there are any other places where i need to change ip address my machine and gateway other than what i have already done.
Other possibly relevant files are /etc/hosts, /etc/hostname, /etc/resolv.conf, and the /etc/network/ directory, but what you've done should probably take care of your immediate needs.

i also will like to know what does entry 'network' in /etc/network/interfaces mean
From "man interfaces":
The static Method
This method may be used to define ethernet interfaces with statically
      allocated IPv4 addresses.

             address address
                    Address (dotted quad) required

             netmask netmask
                    Netmask (dotted quad) required

             broadcast broadcast_address
                    Broadcast address (dotted quad)

             network network_address
Network address (dotted quad) required for 2.0.x kernels

             gateway address
                    Default gateway (dotted quad)

and where does one change dns server entries?

/etc/resolv.conf

last but not the least - how do i access my lan resources? files on other pcs and printers connected to them? in windows i can do it!

Depends on what the other machines and printers are, and the protocols they speak. Windows computers usually speak SMB, and in order to access Windows shares (file sharing and printer sharing), you'll need to install and configure samba on your Linux box. Do a google for "samba howto" and you'll find way more info that you ever wanted.

If you're printing to networked printers (not Windows-shared printers), you're probably interested in lpd and/or cups information.