Re: strange apt-get upgrade issue

On Mon, 2002-10-07 at 12:57, Chris McCormick wrote:

> > > Excellent suggestion - at the moment I can't get it to run correctly ever
> > > though. :(
> > >
> > > running:
> > > strace -fF dpkg --unpack libc6_2.1.3-24_i386.deb
> > > doesn't tell me anything i can understand. if someone more knowledgable
> > > wants to look at the copy of the output i can send it to them.
> >
> >Can you dump it on a webpage and post the URL to the list?
>
> Sure,
> http://203.59.70.242/strace_dpkg_output.txt

[pid  4582] ptrace(PTRACE_ATTACH, 4580, 0, 0) = -1 EPERM (Operation not
permitted)
[pid  4582] ptrace(PTRACE_ATTACH, 4577, 0, 0) = -1 EPERM (Operation not
permitted)

this is something tar is trying to do and failing, thus breaking the
pipe...

The same happens on the gzip call...

from man ptrace

ERRORS
       EPERM  The specified process cannot be traced.  This could
              be  because the parent has insufficient privileges;
              non-root processes cannot trace processes that they
              cannot send signals to or those running setuid/set­
              gid programs, for obvious reasons.   Alternatively,
              the process may already be being traced, or be init
              (pid 1).

Not that that helps much.

If you go

dpkg-deb --fsys-tarfile packagename.deb > packagename.tar

and then

/bin/tar xvf packagename.tar

Does it untar ok?

Is it a broken package that is cached? try...

rm -rf /var/cache/apt/archives/*.deb
rm -rf /var/cache/apt/archives/partial/*.deb

Does dselect fix the problems. Try running dselect, choose update, the
select. Add no new packages, just press return, then select install.

All just vague stabs in the dark really...

Crispin