Re: OT: mass installation on XBox

On 03 Oct 2002 09:58:59 -0500 Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net> wrote:

> On Thu, 2002-10-03 at 07:13, Colin Watson wrote:
> > Ever heard of the term "circumvention", as applied to copy-prevention
> > techniques? See the URL you quoted, chapter III, article 6.
>
> So as long as he's not playing pirated games, he should be legal.

Not quite.  As I understand it, the XBox has hardware to restrict the
execution of code to that signed and authorized by MS.  For the XBox to
run Linux, one would first have to circumvent this mechanism.  Based on a
cursory look at the provided link and referenced section it would seem
that the application of a mod chip would be a violation.  Again, IANAL.

--
Jamin W. Collins