Woody installation: can't find my /dev/hdg to install to.

Hi!

I'm trying to install debian 3.0 (woody) from CD to my Athlon PC.  The
installation program fails to find my hard drive (which other
(commercial) distributions have located variously at /dev/hdg and
/dev/hde).  It merely invites me to supply a Hard disk driver on a floppy
disk.

The problem seems to be that my (sole) hard drive is _not_ on the primary
IDE controller.  It is on a secondary controller because this latter
works at ATA-100 speed.

The hard drive is in working order, and linux kernels can be successfully
booted from it.

My motherboard is an Epox EP-8K7A (or maybe an Epox EP-8K7A+ ??).

Presumably, I can give the installation kernel some parameter(s) which
will tell it to look at the third IDE controller to find a disk to
install onto.  Presumably, also, this is described in a fine manual
somewhere I haven't yet been able to find.

Would somebody please point me towards the appropriate documentation, so
that I can get my system installed.  Of course, if anybody is generous
enough just to tell me what the pertinent parameters are, that would be
most welcome, too.  :-)

Many thanks in anticipation.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)