Re: OT: mass installation on XBox

On Thu, 03 Oct 2002 13:31:54 -0500
Jamin W.Collins <jcollins@asgardsrealm.net> wrote:

> On 03 Oct 2002 09:58:59 -0500 Ron Johnson <ron.l.johnson@cox.net>
> wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2002-10-03 at 07:13, Colin Watson wrote:
> > > Ever heard of the term "circumvention", as applied to
> > > copy-prevention techniques? See the URL you quoted, chapter III,
> > > article 6.
> >
> > So as long as he's not playing pirated games, he should be legal.
>
> Not quite.  As I understand it, the XBox has hardware to restrict the
> execution of code to that signed and authorized by MS.  For the XBox
> to run Linux, one would first have to circumvent this mechanism.
> Based on a cursory look at the provided link and referenced section it
> would seem that the application of a mod chip would be a violation.
> Again, IANAL.
>
> --
> Jamin W. Collins

That should be interesting!
If that thing ever gets put together and M$ thinks it is illegal I would
love to see a court battle over that in an european court. Who in the
hell are those people that think they can tell me I can't construct a
marslander out of a ford taurus? Or use a piece of hardware I bought and
paid for to what I want it to do? This is ridiculous.

Prost,

Klaus