Re: Email (was Setting up Exim was Setting up Sendmail)

On Wed, Oct 02, 2002 at 06:09:07AM -0700, Michael Olds wrote:
> Good morning Carel,
>
> Live on the East Coast?

nah, I'm living in the Netherlands (Europe), but I've strange sleeping habits:)

> Thank you again for your careful attention to this! I have followed your
> instructions and the output would indicate that Exim was running ok. (??) My
> output next to yours below:

All in all it looks like exim is working fine, but...

> 1) On the linux box login as userme. X
>
> 2) To check if it's a normal mailbox or a directory or whatever, use:
>
>       $ file /var/mail/userme  X
>
>    On my machine this looks like:
>
>       $ file /var/mail/userme
>       /var/mail/carel: ISO-8859 mail text, with very long lines
>
> 		On mine it was similar:
> 			/var/mail/userme ISO-8859 mail text but nothing else

Okee, so it's a standard mailbox.
To finish this part of let's double check on ownership and protections. It
should be like this:

    owner: userme
    group: mail
    protection: -rw-rw----
       user:  read, write
       group: read, write
       others:

> 3) To see whether new mail arives, use: X
>
>      $ du /var/mail/userme
>      $ echo just testing | mail -s test userme
>      $ du /var/mail/userme

What bothers me is that "du /var/mail/userme" shows the file hasn't
grown...some thinking later, ofcourse, it's a large file by now, so
du shows the size in kilobytes, and such a small test message isn't
going to change the size that much, so goes by unnoticed:(

If you want to be dead sure, you could rerun step 3, but instead of
"du /var/mail/userme" now switch to "du -b /var/mail/userme".  And for
added fun instead of "just testing" use some other odd string, like
"last call for alcohol" so as to make it simpler to see with step 4
that it's really the newly sent message that's in your mail spool?

So presuming the above few extra checks are okee, lets move on to step
6, and try to use a simple email client to look at your emails.

6) To look at the mail use (still loged in as userme):

   $ mail

   to quit this program press the q-key followed by the enter-key.

   On my machine this gives a screen full of output looking like:

      Mail version 8.1.2 01/15/2001.  Type ? for help.
      "/var/mail/carel": 26 messages 26 new
      >N  1 carel@mail.felnet     Tue Oct 01 22:02  120/8086  animus 2002...
       N  2 carel@mail.felnet     Tue Oct 01 23:02   56/3295  animus 2002...
       N 19 carel@mail.felnet     Wed Oct 02 13:02   27/1225  animus 2002...
       N 20 carel@mail.felnet     Wed Oct 02 13:11  205/12000 Anacron job...
      & q
      Held 26 messages in /var/mail/carel

If this works, then the next thing to do is to choose an email client and
we will help configuring it.

--
groetjes, carel